What you’ll get
Duration : 3 days 2 nights
Departure : Hanoi Old Quarter
Suitable : Family, friend, couple, solo travelers
Type : Land tour
Product Code : T88BBG03
This tour will take you from the vast lakes and chalky karsts of Ba Be National Park to the wild and rugged landscapes of Cao Bang to visit the most spectacular Ban Gioc waterfall in Vietnam. You will be travelling through the remote areas in the north of Vietnam, brushing along the Chinese border and staying with local families to find out about the unique cultures and customs of Vietnam.
- Admire amazing landscapes in the breathtaking Ban Gioc Waterfall
- Float on Ba Be Lake, take in the scenery of the surrounding karsts decorated with patches of wild vegetation
- Take a better understanding of the various ethnic groups and their agricultural tools, traditional handicrafts
Flexible Price - Best Price Guaranteed
- 2 Breakfast, 3 Lunches, 2 Dinners
- Shuttle bus
- Price Includes
- A/C transfer
- Boat trip on Ba Be lake
- 2 nights at Homestay
- All sightseeing tickets
- Pick-up and drop-off in Hanoi Old Quarter
- Experienced English speaking guide
- Meals as stated in the itinerary (B: Breakfast; L: Lunch; D: Dinner)
- Price Excludes
- Personal expenses, tips and gratuities
- Travel insurance
- Other services not mentioned above
- Cancellation by Customer
For almost of our tours, once tour is confirmed and fully paid but for one reason they cancel the tour, the following charges will apply in the event of cancellation prior to tour commencement:
- More than 30 days before arrival: No charge
- 15-30 days before arrival: 10% of total tour price.
- 7-15 days before arrival: 50% of total tour price.
- 4-7 days before arrival: 75% of total tour price.
- Within 3 days before arrival: 100% tour price.
- The above fees are subject to an added bank transaction fee.
- There will be no refund given for any unused or missed ground arrangements, sightseeing, meals or hotel accommodations.
- For no show cases, there will be no refund.
- All cancellations must be in person or in writing and received by us
- Cancellation by Weather
In case of an unexpected situation/ bad weather causes an effect on your trip after commencement, we serve the right to change the itinerary of your booked tour for the safety of all clients in the group. If there are more than one solution, we will ask for your permission and agreement to do the next step. In such kind of cancellation, the refund of any payment on the un-used portion of transportation service, hotel service, car rental or tours will be given.
- Children Policy
- Under 4 years: Free of Charge.
- From 4 to 8 years old: 50% of adult’s fare and sharing bed with parents.
- From 9 to 11 years old: 75% of adult’s fare and using existing bed.
- Students with ID student card: 95% of adult’s fare and using existing bed.
- Over 11 years old: 100% of adult’s fare and using existing bed.
- Day 1: Hanoi - Lang Son - Quang Uyen
Our tour guide will pick you up by car at your hotel around 7:30-8:00am, transferring you to Lang Son. We will start by driving in the direction of the Chinese border for about 3 hours, before stopping at Chi Lang Pass - a 20-km-long gorge created from a narrow valley between two mountains. This place occupies an important position in Vietnamese history, being the place of many victories against various Chinese invasions over the centuries and millennia, as far back as 981AD. As such it bears the reputation of Vietnam’s strongest citadel and bastion. Here you will have roughly an hour to walk around and explore the area around the Quy Mon Quan Gate, which translates as “The Gate of Monsters”, named for the many invasion forces that would spill through the pass over the course of history only to be beaten back by stalwart Vietnamese defenders. After lunch at a local restaurant in Dong Dang, you will continue your trip into the pass, stopping to visit Mother’s Temple and Dong Khe – an important historical site where The Battle of Dong Khe was fought during the First Indochina War. In fact, this was the very first battle of the Indochina Wars, and the fighting here took place through September and October 1950, ending in a resounding victory for the Viet Minh. In the evening you will get to enjoy dinner and overnight rest in a local homestay owned and operated by a local Nung family.
Meals: L, D
- Day 2: Cao Bang - Ban Gioc Waterfall - Ba Be Lake
After enjoying breakfast at the homestay, you will depart for Trung Khanh which lies right on the border with China. Here you will have another chance to meet and interact with the local Nung people living in the village of Phuoc Sen, a mountainous village famous for its traditional blacksmithing. The farming tools made here are an integral part of the lifestyle which is evident in the surrounding rice paddies and fields. Nestled amongst these amazing landscapes is the breath-taking Ban Gioc Waterfall which spans over 300 meters, split half and half between Vietnam and China. You’ll get some time here to simply take in the amazing atmosphere surrounding the falls, which presents an excellent opportunity for some fantastic photography. Once you’ve finished at the falls, it’s time to head over to Nguom Ngao Cave, for a very different, but no less impressive natural wonder. The cave stretches for 2,144 meters underground and is brimming with incredible stalactites and stalagmites. You will then return to Cao Bang town and head down the “snake pass” to Ba Be Lake, where you will stay overnight in a homestay constructed in traditional Tay fashion and owned and operated by a local Tay family. Here you can relax and unwind from the day and enjoy a delicious and authentic home-cooked meal.
Meals: B, L, D
- Day 3: Ba Be Lake - Hanoi
After breakfast we’ll kick the final day of the tour of by boarding a boat and setting off onto the lake. It’s up to you how to spend your time on the boat, whether it’s relaxing and enjoying the views or going for a swim in the cool waters to refresh yourself. The views consist of stunning karst formations all around you covered with patches of wild vegetation and a rich wildlife. The boat will then continue along the Nang River, giving you a chance to explore the caves of Puong Grotto where you can marvel at the stalactites and stalagmites created through river erosion, as well as observe the thousands-strong bat colony that lives here. Now that you’ve reached the end of your tour, you’ll be driven the roughly 230 kilometres back to Hanoi, with a stop at a tea plantation nestled among rolling hills. Once we arrive in Hanoi it is time to say farewell, having made lifelong memories and connections.
Meals: B, L
- Pack essentials, including light comfortable clothes suitable for outdoor activities, comfortable walking shoes. Take a small day pack for hiking and trekking.
- It is essential to bring your passport on this trip. We also recommend packing: insect repellent, sun cream, raincoat and sun hat..
What to take
Questions & Answers
9.7Based on 30 reviews
Value for money9.8
13 Jun 2019
it will take 3 days of your time to do this trip from Hanoi but getting there is all part of a great adventure. It’s a long drive from Hanoi but worth the trip if you have plenty of time. . Stay for 2 nights in Cao Bang as you need the whole of next day to do the 2 hour drive to water falls. You should visit the Ba Be Lake , this is an amazing place also. The lunch provided on this day was great. All in all it was a great trip.
02 May 2019
Enjoy swim near waterfall, - clean water, may be you can drink it. Ba Be is one relax place also. Really one can enjoy the ride on the boat which goes under the caves. Unforgettable experience of the drive
Donatien De La Ronde
23 Apr 2019
Ba Be is one of the top 20 beautiful natural fresh water lakes of the world and Ban Gioc is currently the 4th largest waterfall along a national border, after Iguazu Falls, Victoria Falls, and Niagara Falls. Really short time here so maybe I just needed more time. We did a boat ride to the caves in Ba Be with the stalcites which were very neat and it was nice that there were no other tourists. Stay overnight at homestay, But accommodation was clean and owner was so helpful, They can speak a little bit English But Fine.!
Riley van Hoorn
15 Apr 2019
The lake is peaceful with nice sceneries of country side and limestone mountains. Mysterious Nguom Ngao cave and So amazing view water fall. All of this from nature, You will have to surprise when see it. My tour was good every thing, helpful Tour guide, Nice weather, Clean homstay. Hightly recommend.
11 Apr 2019
The waterfall is stunning, The view is spectacular, you look from Vietnam into China and it’s a stunning 180 degrees view of the power of water. Also Ba Be Lake,quite and clean, you can see a lot of local people who live around the Lake and rowing boat around lake very relax.