What you’ll get
Departure : Phong Nha
Suitable : Friends, Active Traveller
Type : Land tour
Grab your gear, and head into the wilderness. Join our Hang Tien Exploration over 3 days and 2 nights. The exhilarating tropical jungle trekking and remarkable cave exploration will excite you in every way. On this demanding adventure, you will trek through the world-class, legendary jungle of the Tu Lan Cave System. You will traverse the Rao Nan river, featured in the Hollywood blockbuster Kong: Skull Island.
- Traverse the Rao Nan river, featured in the Hollywood blockbuster Kong: Skull Island
- Get a picturesque wake-up call every day, and a magical night scene with two richly different campsites
- Explore extraordinary caves, including Hang Tien Cave – famed for its vastness and magnificent formations
- 2 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 2 Dinners
- Mini bus
- Camping Tent
- Price Includes
- Camping gear: tent, camp light, sleeping bag, pillow, mattresses
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, life jacket, gloves
- Light PVC backpack (if you do not want to take your own, as it will get wet)
- Dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics)
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Meals: picnic lunches, dinner (day 1 & 2), breakfast (day 2 & 3)
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water purifier (used only by guide and porters) and water bottle
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store all luggage you will not be taking on the trek
- Price Excludes
- 1 medium size towel
- 1 pair of flip flop (sandals) for campsite
- 1-2 pair of short and t-shirt to wear at campsite and swim suit
- 2-3 pairs of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwear, toiletries
- 2 long (easy to dry) pants and 2 long sleeved shirts to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of good-gripping and non-waterproof trekking boots/shoes (if you prefer your own comfortable pair)
- Cancellation by Customer
For almost of our tours, once tour is confirmed and fully paid but for one reason they cancel the tour, the following charges will apply in the event of cancellation prior to tour commencement:
- More than 30 days before arrival: No charge
- 15-30 days before arrival: 10% of total tour price.
- 7-15 days before arrival: 50% of total tour price.
- 4-7 days before arrival: 75% of total tour price.
- Within 3 days before arrival: 100% tour price.
- There will be no refund given for any unused or missed ground arrangements, sightseeing, meals or hotel accommodations.
- For no show cases, there will be no refund.
- All cancellations must be in person or in writing and received by Asia Travel Package
- Children Policy
- Under 4 years: Free of Charge.
- From 4 to under 8 years old: 50% of adult's fare and sharing bed with parents.
- From 4 to under 8 years old: 75% of adult's fare and using his own bed (on request)
- Over 8 years old: 100% of adult's fare and using his own bed.
- Day 1: Phong Nha – Tan Hoa – Secret Cave – Hung Ton Cave – La Ken Campsite
Our company bus will collect you from your hotel in Phong Nha, between 7:30 and 8:00 in the morning. We will transport you another 70 kilometers to our Tan Hoa Office. Here you will have the very important safety briefing.
You will pack your essential gear, learn about safety; sign our Release Form and prepare for your adventure. Trek through pretty peanut & corn fields for 2.5 km to the Rao Nan River. This area is superbly featured on the Hollywood blockbuster movie named Kong: Skull Island.
Once across the river, you and your team will climb a small hill towards Secret Cave at 10:30AM. The cave will surely amaze you with its outstanding formations. You then spend about an hour inside the cave before trekking another hour to Hung Ton Cave. By twelve thirty midday, you will be ready for your tasty riverside lunch at the Hung Ton Cave’s entrance. Delicious food will give you plenty of energy for the next part of this adventure.
The squad will then enjoy about two hours exploring this marvelous cave before swimming out to To Mo Valley. At 3PM, you will follow the guide to climb through Lom Com Mountain to reach the La Ken campsite, located by the Rao Nan River by 4:30 PM. Now is the time to enjoy a quick swim before your freshly prepared dinner. Under a thousand stars of the Tu Lan sky, you will then easily fall to sleep, dreaming of tomorrow’s promising adventures.
Meals: L, D
- Day 2: La Ken Valley – Hung Nhai – Mooc Lagoon – Tien Campsite
Cooking aromas and welcoming smiles from your porter team will kick start your day, in a very special way. Breakfast, complete with your morning cuppa will prepare you, ready to break camp by 8am, to go in search of further wonders.
You and the team will need to trek and climb over hills before reaching the beautiful waterfall, where a splendid lunch awaits you.
Getting back on track by 12:00 PM, the guide will lead your trek though Hung Nhai Valley. Enjoy its fertile valleys; breathe in the fresh air, and enjoy every moment of it. You then will reach a tranquil magnificent blue lagoon located right in the middle of the jungle surrounded by rocks. This kind of scenery is rare in the world, it makes you wish you could stop the time and live in this moment forever.
Take you time to enjoy a refreshing swim or moments to take some great photos when the sun goes down. While you set up camp and change into dry clothing, the porters will prepare a fulfilling BBQ dinner for you. The lullaby of the water will soothe you to sleep, and again you can dream of tomorrow.
Meals: B, L, D
- Day 3: Tien Campsite – Hang Tien 1 – Hang Tien 2 – Dong Dau Mountain – Tan Hoa – Phong Nha
Your last morning in the jungle will start at 8:00 AM with breakfast served right by the magnificent green natural lagoon.
Prepare yourself to climb for an hour or so, over a field of boulders, before being greeted by the sight of Hang Tien 1. Approximately 50 m inside the cave entrance, you will witness the beauty of a large chamber whose ceiling is beautifully decorated.
Continue deep into Hang Tien 1, climb the ladder, and view the cave exit. By 11:00AM you will be craving your picnic lunch here before the 30 minutes trek to Hang Tien 2.
The subterranean world, known as Hang Tien 2, welcomes you with a tiny entrance and a slippery descent. Only 300m inside, and you will be mesmerized by the many formations and the vastness of what is believed to be the largest cave in the Tu Lan Cave System.
Say farewell to Hang Tien and the wonders of nature as you head back to the camp to pack up the necessities. Fill the last moments of the adventure with the return trek through Dong Dau Mountain to the road, where cold drinks will await you.
The company van will then transfer you back to the office at around 5:00 PM, where you will have time to shower and change into fresh clothes. By 6:30PM, you officially say goodbye to the team in Phong Nha, completing the astonishing Hang Tien Exploration 3-day-2-night journey.
Meals: B, L
- Tour is a vailable Tuesday & Thursday, operated from mid-November to mid-September (closed in Oct)
- Transfer Dong Hoi - Phong Nha + 35$/minibus/way
Questions & Answers
9.0Based on 3 reviews
Value for money
16 Feb 2019
Just returned from my 3D/2N Hang Tien tour; it will definitely be the highlight of my time in Vietnam. From initial communication with my team through the end of the tour, everything was very well run. Our group's guide and our team of porters made sure we made it through our three day jungle trek without a problem. There was never any safety issues, the food was outstanding, and (most) of the gear provided was great. Make sure you read the tour description and know what you're getting into, especially if you end up choosing a longer tour. You will visit the caves, but the vast majority of your time will be spent trekking through dense jungle and very difficult terrain. I am a fairly experienced hiking and this was quite a difficult trek (about 30km). Be prepared for lots of up- and downhill, insects, leeches, spiders, mud, some more mud, and lots of sweat. Don't bother bringing a lot of clothes; you're going to get dirty and will stay dirty! Also be prepared to get wet. Lots of rivers to cross and caves to swim through (on some tours). If you're not so much for the hiking and more for the cave experience, choose a shorter tour. But if you're looking for the best of both worlds, definitely opt for one of the longer, more difficult treks. You won't regret it!
12 Jan 2019
This trek was the main reason for our trip to Vietnam and it certainly didn't disappoint! We did the 3D/2N Hang Tien trip and it was amazing! I can't say enough about the staff: our guide, our safety assistants, really made the trip. The trek itself was pretty challenging but the rewards (sights, views, camp!) were well worth it. The food was fantastic, campsites were lovely, and the entire experience (from initial booking with Hue to the final afternoon of the trip) was so well organized, memorable, and overall, outstanding. Thank you! We hope to come back for another trip!
28 Nov 2017
My husband and I did the Hang Tien Exploration 3d2n -- apparently this was there first time ever doing this tour. We had a great time! I was between booking this tour or the Tu Lan 3d2n Tour, I contacted local travel agency and they told me if I wanted "more adventure" to book Hang Tien. They support was responsive and helpful. Booking was easy. Our guide, porters, cook, safety assistants were all awesome. We had a good amount of rain during our 3 days - so we had a few if-y situations but the team handled them like pros. About half our group wore trekking boots, the other half wore their own shoes. I wore their canvas trekking boots for 1 day -- but they gave me blisters so I switched back to my own shoes. I will say having proper hiking clothing really helped us be less miserable - quick dry and abrasion/ tear resistant. We would definitely book another tour with them next time we're in Vietnam.